It had better.
The sun hasn’t been out (or I haven’t seen it) in over a week in MN. It is gray, foggy and the ceiling is so low we’ve had air quality warnings. Not only that but we are days away from the shortest day of the year.
I’ve always had a hunch that I suffered from Seasonal Affect Disorder and I am starting to realize that I have some major symptoms of SAD going on right now. Combined with the sleep deprivation and it is no wonder that I am struggling with keeping my choices in check. If my life has taught me anything is that depression does not help me when it comes to weight loss.
So what are my options? A few things come to mind right away.
- Keep trying to make good choices with food – 23 good hours with one hour of bad choices is still better than a whole day where I give up.
- Find time to spend outdoors. I didn’t leave the office from 11am until 8pm tonight. (of course it was so grey it might not have mattered). Go for a quick walk around the block even if it is raining, snowing or cold.
- Call my psychologist/psychiatrist and see what he recommends. It may be we need to revisit a dosage or maybe there is a light box prescription I could get, or maybe I can up my vitamin D.
- Practice forgiveness. With depression comes a lot of negative self-talk and it is debilitating sometimes. I know I am struggling but it is even more important for me to know that I am a worthy and awesome person right now.
- Surround myself with good options, that way even if I eat too much it is nutritious.
- Snuggle with the kids.
- Read a book, for fun. Play Christmas music. Have a dance party with the kids.
- Go to bed early as I can.
Thank you for the thoughts, comments and advice yesterday. I want point out a few things.
- Weight Watchers has a heavy emphasis on nutrition, it isn’t all about eating anything you want.
- When I am struggling it is because I am off plan, not because the plan itself is broken.
- For me right now, Weight Watchers is a good option. It may not always be the case, but I know that it works for me when I am in the head space to follow it.
This whole journey is about health. Weight is a part of it, but so is my mental health. Right now my mental health needs a bit of upkeep so that I can stay focused on the physical parts.