Sure, making cauliflower crust for your pizza is an option, but that can take time to make and not everyone loves it.
If you crave the taste of pizza but want a healthier alternative to crust, here are some ideas and easy recipes for healthy crust substitutions you can make at home including bell pepper, portobello mushroom, rice cake, and zucchini boat pizza.
If you like this article, please share or Pin!
Healthier Crust Pizza Alternatives + Recipes:
- Bell Pepper Pizza: (115+ calories) Instead of dough, thick slices of bell pepper serve as the “crust” or base for your pizza. Bell peppers are low in calories and high in vitamins A and C. To prepare, simply cut the bell peppers into flat pieces, top with your favorite pizza toppings, and bake until the cheese is bubbly. This option adds a nice crunch and a sweet flavor to your pizza experience. View recipe
- Portobello Mushroom Pizza: (125+ calories) Using portobello mushrooms as the base instead of a traditional pizza crust is a great low-carb option. Mushrooms are rich in B vitamins and minerals. Remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms, fill them with sauce, cheese, and toppings, then bake. They provide a meaty texture and a deep, earthy flavor to your pizza. View WW recipe
- Zucchini Boat Pizza: (125+ calories) Zucchini boats are another nutritious alternative to a crust made of dough. Zucchini is low in calories and contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, and vitamin A. Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, scoop out the center, add your toppings, and bake. Zucchini boats offer a unique way to enjoy your pizza with an added bonus of extra veggies. View recipe
- Rice Cake Pizza: (155+ calories) Light and crispy rice cakes can be a great gluten-free base with fewer calories than regular pizza crust. They are low in fat and a good option for those watching their calorie intake. Top a plain rice cake with sauce, cheese, and mini toppings, then microwave or bake just until the cheese melts. It’s a quick and easy way to satisfy a pizza craving. View recipe or the WW version
- Pita Pizza: (235+ calories) Whole grain pita bread is a healthier alternative to traditional pizza dough. It’s higher in fiber and can be a good source of protein. Simply top a pita with your favorite ingredients and bake. The key is to choose a whole grain pita for maximum health benefits, and it offers a similar experience to traditional pizza but with a healthier twist. View recipe
Pizza: Why Consider a Healthy Crust Alternative?
Traditional pizza crust might not always be the best choice for a healthy diet, and switching to a healthier crust or base alternative can be beneficial.
First off, traditional pizza crust is usually made from refined white flour. This type of flour is stripped of most of its fiber, vitamins, and minerals during processing. As a result, it can spike your blood sugar levels more rapidly than whole grains. Plus, it’s often high in calories and low in nutritional value, contributing to weight gain if consumed in large amounts. Also, for folks with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease, traditional pizza dough is a no-go due to its gluten content.
Here are reasons why you should consider swapping in a healthier crust or base next time you make pizza at home:
- Nutrient Boost: When you switch out the regular dough for something like bell peppers or zucchini, you’re not just cutting down on calories and carbs; you’re also packing in a bunch of extra vitamins, minerals, and fiber. This makes your pizza not just less unhealthy but actively good for you!
- Blood Sugar Friendly: Alternatives like portobello mushrooms or whole grain pita have a lower glycemic index compared to regular pizza dough. This means they cause a slower, smaller rise in blood sugar levels, which is particularly beneficial for people with diabetes or those trying to manage their blood sugar.
- Calorie Control: Healthier pizza crusts tend to be lower in calories. This means you can enjoy a satisfying portion of pizza without overloading on calories, which is great if you’re watching your weight.
- Dietary Inclusion: For those who are gluten intolerant or looking to reduce gluten in their diet, options like rice cakes or certain types of pita can be a godsend. They allow you to enjoy pizza without the gluten found in traditional dough.
- Flavor Exploration: Let’s not forget the fun factor! Using different bases can introduce a whole new range of flavors and textures to your pizza. It’s a culinary adventure, turning a simple pizza into an exciting taste test.
So, by swapping out the traditional pizza crust for a healthier alternative, you’re not just doing your body a favor; you’re also opening up a whole new world of flavors and textures.
Each of these healthy pizza crust alternatives not only adds nutritional value to your meal but also brings a unique twist to the traditional pizza experience. By experimenting with these crust alternatives, you can enjoy your favorite flavors at home while keeping your meals interesting and healthy. Happy cooking, and thanks for visiting WOnky Pie!