If you like Indian food but are limited in the dishes you order or cook, consider shrimp biryani. It’s a flavorful dish with basmati rice and vegetables that can be as spicy or mild as you’d like. The Greek yogurt adds a creamy texture, and it’s relatively easy to make. Best of all, it’s pretty low in calories and 92% green, according to the Noom app. Yum!
Shrimp Biryani Recipe:
Here’s Noom’s recipe for shrimp biryani:
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp. fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground corriander
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 potato small
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup shrimp raw, peeled, deveined
- 5 oz. frozen peas thawed (half bag)
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz.
- 4 Tbsp. Greek Yogurt non-fat
- small handful cilantro
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- Prepare rice according to package instructions. Chop onion, mince garlic and ginger. Cut potato into 1×1 inch cubes leaving skin. Peel carrot and roughly chop.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Once onion is translucent, add the ginger and garlic and stir together.
- After 1 minute, add the dry spices, and stir to combine. Cook for another minute
- Add about 1 cup water to the pan, then add potatoes and carrots. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when stuc with a fork.
- About 5 minutes before the potatoes are done cooking, add the shrimp. After 2-3 minutes stir to cook evenly on both sides. At the end of the cooking time, there should be little to no water remaining.
- Stir peas and tomatoes into the veggie mixture and warm through. (about a minute or so)
- Remove the pan from heat and add the rice and yogurt. Mix everything well.
- Serve the biryani topped with cilantro and jalapeno. (optional)
Shrimp Biryani Calories
Shrimp Briyani has about 335 calories per serving.
Have You Joined Noom?
Noom has been called Weight Watchers for Millennials, but it’s actually a lot more than that. If you are thinking of joining, check out our review here. We also wrote about how pricing works, and post coupons whenever they are available.
So, sit back and enjoy your shrimp biryani and learn a bit about Noom. Actually, eat first. There’s no reason to be distracted when you eat dinner!
Vegetarian meal-kit delivery: If you want to try new recipes for vegetarian and vegan meals, consider Purple Carrot. It’s our favorite meal kit delivery service, and we have a coupon for $30 off here.
Related: Noom Tomato Corn Chowder Recipe
Last Updated on June 10, 2020 by kevin